E-commerce has become increasingly popular in recent years, with many people choosing to buy clothes, accessories, and other items online without trying them on first. However, not everyone is comfortable with this approach, and some people still prefer to visit physical stores to try on items before making a purchase.
- Many people prefer to buy clothes online without trying them on first
- Some people prefer to visit physical stores to try on items before making a purchase
- E-commerce has become increasingly popular in recent years
My mother, for example, is in her late 50's and refuses to purchase anything online. She believes that if you don't try on something, you don't know how it will look on you, and she would rather visit a physical store to try on items before making a purchase.
On the other hand, I am the opposite. I don't know how something will fit, but as long as it's a size small, I know it will look good on me. In the end, it's not the clothes, it's the model, right?
Though there are many people like my mother who prefer to try on items before buying them, many of us prefer the convenience of acquiring new items through e-commerce platforms. E-commerce has become increasingly popular in recent years, and it's likely that this trend will continue to grow as more and more people become comfortable with buying items online without trying them on first.
What is e-commerce?
E-commerce, or electronic commerce, refers to the process of buying and selling physical or electronic items online. It has become one of the preferred ways of shopping for many people around the world due to its ease and convenience. E-commerce allows people to buy products or services from their homes at any time of day or night.
- E-commerce refers to buying and selling items online
- It is becoming increasingly popular due to its convenience and ease
- E-commerce growth is expected to hit 21.5% in 2019, 19.8% in 2020, and 18% in 2021
Furthermore, even less popular sectors are expected to become more open to e-commerce options. The increasing availability of online accessibility, mobile technology, and digital innovations has made e-commerce a necessity for businesses that want to reach their customers and increase sales.
According to Nielsen, 85% of users (3.4 billion) spend six and a half hours browsing the web every day, which means that potential customers are spending more and more time online. This presents a huge opportunity for businesses to increase their online presence and take advantage of the growing e-commerce market.
In 2018, retail e-commerce sales grew 23.3% over 2017, and this trend is expected to continue with e-commerce growth projected at 21.5% for 2019, 19.8% for 2020, and 18% for 2021. These numbers show the potential of the e-commerce market and the importance of having an online presence for businesses.
What are the benefits of having an e-commerce site?
There are several reasons why business owners now are considering running an e-commerce site. This can be because of the following reasons:
- It can reduce the costs of owning and running a physical store. Think about it, having a physical store requires expenses such as rent, repairs to a building or equipment, payroll, travel costs, pension contributions, employee benefits such as health insurance, accountancy, and legal fees, property taxes, etc. The list could go on and on.
- It gives you the opportunity to sell worldwide. The internet can be reached in many places around the country. In fact, this census stated that in 2017, among all households, 78% had a desktop or laptop, 75% had a handheld computer such as a smartphone or other handheld wireless computer, and 77% had a broadband Internet subscription. This is just in the US, let’s talk about expansion. What about selling internationally? Statistics show that over 4.33 billion people were active internet users as of July 2019, encompassing 56 percent of the global population.
- Selling online reduces geographical barriers. Depending on the market you want to focus on, there are no limitations once you have all the logistics and a good e-commerce site built out. You are able to reach customers in areas where geographical barriers would have limited you due to physical retail locations. The bottom line, e-commerce allows businesses to reach more customers than physical locations alone.
- E-commerce allows you to attract new customers through online visibility. As you have probably heard before, Search Engine Optimization is a big deal in marketing. As I shared back then when I wrote this blog, by applying the correct techniques and strategic content on your site, you will be able to reach thousands of potential buyers across the internet.
- E-commerce allows you to adapt the message according to your buyer persona. If this is the first time you hear the term, buyer persona, here it is defined in less than 100 words: A buyer persona is a semi-fictional representation of your ideal customer based on market research and real data about your existing customers. When creating your buyer persona(s), consider including customer demographics, behavior patterns, motivations, and goals. The more detailed you are, the better.
- Selling online through an e-commerce site allows you to adapt your message to the person you are selling to based on:
- Geographical location
- Buyer’s journey stage
- Relationship status
- And many more!
How is this possible? Because you can create different sections on your website that are targeted only to a specific group of people. This is the beauty of digital marketing! Through PPC advertising or simply a solid SEO strategy
, you can create different landing pages or even make the content on your website smart so that users in a particular location, or from a specific ethnic group see the message in their language and adapted to their preferences.
can communicate the specific message that your users want to engage with.
Have you ever visited an e-commerce store and probably added some things to the cart but didn’t end up making a purchase? It is not unusual that a few days after that (if not hours!), you receive an email with an “abandoned cart” message.
Things to consider when running an e-commerce store:
- Consider the payment options that are available to your customers
When it comes to payment options, it is important to offer a variety of options to your customers. This will make their shopping experience smoother and increase the likelihood of them making a purchase. Some popular payment options for e-commerce stores include credit and debit cards, PayPal, and Apple Pay.
- Make sure your website is mobile-friendly
With the increasing use of smartphones and tablets, it is crucial that your e-commerce website is mobile-friendly. This means that it should be easy to navigate and use on a mobile device.
Social media platforms can be a powerful tool for driving traffic and sales to your e-commerce store. By regularly posting engaging content and promoting your products on social media, you can attract potential customers and encourage them to make a purchase.
- Invest in search engine optimization (SEO)
SEO is a crucial aspect of any e-commerce strategy. By optimizing your website for search engines, you can increase its visibility and attract more potential customers. This can be done through keyword research, creating high-quality content, and building backlinks.
- Implement an email marketing strategy
Email marketing can be an effective way to stay in touch with your customers and encourage them to make a purchase. By regularly sending relevant and engaging emails, you can keep your brand top of mind and drive sales to your e-commerce store.
Running an e-commerce store can be a great way to grow your business and reach more people.
How to begin?
Are you looking to launch or revamp your e-commerce store? It can be a daunting task, but with our experience in the field, we can help make it a success. Our team has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to e-commerce, and we know what works and what doesn't.
Here are a few tips to get started:
- Identify your target audience: Who are you trying to reach with your online store? Defining your target audience will help you tailor your marketing and sales efforts to the right people.
- Choose the right e-commerce platform: There are many options out there, so take the time to research and find the one that best fits your needs and budget.
- Develop a clear and compelling brand message: What makes your products or services unique? Why should people buy from you instead of a competitor? Developing a clear and compelling brand message will help you stand out in the crowded e-commerce landscape.
- Invest in high-quality product photos: High-quality photos are essential for showcasing your products and building trust with customers. Invest in a good camera and take the time to properly light and stage your products for the best possible photos.
- Offer excellent customer service: Providing good customer service can make a big difference in building customer loyalty and positive word-of-mouth. Be responsive to customer inquiries and concerns, and make it easy for customers to get in touch with you.
With these tips in mind, you can start building a successful e-commerce store that will help your business thrive.
So, in case you know anyone like my mom, now you are prepared to win a discussion over why e-commerce is much more convenient than having to visit a retail store to purchase something (plus, faster!).
I hope this blog has helped you clarify some of your doubts regarding the benefits of having an e-commerce site. If you have any further questions or comments, let’s talk!
Let us know what you think